Monday, August 8, 2011

Salone Bobo, Mountain Climbing & Cockroaches Galore

So, uh, WOW! Freetown is SO different from Bo! There is BOKU enjoyment here! This week was an interesting week, as I mainly was getting to know the branch, my companion, the people, the area, and well, EVERYTHING! It's all good though. This place is a lot of fun. I feel happy here in Salone, so it's easy to shine. My mind and heart are here, and my thoughts are nowhere at home.

First, about my companion: I think I shared some things last week about him, but if I didn't here we go: He's an American-Samoan, and he's awesome. I don't know what else to say about him. Everyone here calls him "Salone Bobo" which is Krio for "Sierra Leone Boy." It's funny. The people here really do love him.

This week, I learned just how tired Elder Purcell's last companion was. He went home last week after two years of honorable service. However, he left a little work for me behind. First, he ate all the phone money, which sucks. Here, we have to go to places to buy phone credits to call or text. Inside one month, we're given 129,000le to last us. I came to 50,000 and 0 credit on the phone. Uh, problem, right? Additionally, the area book hadn't been touched in months, so our numbers/baptismal dates/etc. are all out of whack. I have to do a bit of tidying up here.

Being District Leader is fun. Especially considering that there is only four of us in the apartment, two of which are Zone Leaders. Every week we have district meeting, at which I have to provide instruction and direction for 45-90 minutes. Yeah, that's not too easy, but it's fun. It's a little weird though, since the other district members are my companion and the zone leaders. I really like it though. It's put a little fire under my butt to work even harder.

And work harder I do! This place is on the MOUNTAINSIDE!! Proselyting is NOT very easy here. If we don't have to go very far, we DO have to climb great heights. The view is wonderfully stunning though, as we are near the sea. Unfortunately, it is rainy season, and clear skies are in short supply. I don't mind it too much though.

The branch here (Wellington 1) is awesome too! The people are strong, and we had a strong turnout of investigators at church this week! The church building itself is beautiful; a definite upgrade from the Njaie Town building (not to play the "comparison" game, as Njaie Town has a lot of ups that Wellington doesn't). The young single adults and the youth are at the church almost every day doing something or another, be it an activity, or just hanging out. I'm really pleased about the positive effect that that sort of association will have on our members here!

I'm running out of things to say from last week. Oh! You like my tie, eh? Yeah, that's a brand of tie known as "Jatala." They are these GORGEOUS Nigerian ties that, if you have connections, you can get a hold of. Which, in fact, I do have connections! ;) They are super durable and much more beautiful than any other ties. Kapeesh. That particular green one I acquired from a return missionary in Njaie Town branch. I have another 9 that I've acquired via trades/purchases, and they stand as my mainstay for ties. They'll last all two years, whereas my ties that I brought from home are already wearing out, and hence are retired for the time being. I was successful in acquiring the money you sent me, and I promptly put $30 aside to the buying of ties. It should get me 5 more of those Jatalas, and I'm paying a tailor to make 3 "Africana" ties, which will be made out of some nifty native gara cloth. I'm so excited! Oh, the things that make a missionary happy! Ha ha ha...

Well, today was an adventure and a half for some of us Elders! My companion and I went clear out to the Grafton apartment, which is almost as far East as you can go and still be in Freetown. THEIR HOUSE IS A BLINKING PALACE!!! I've never seen a missionary apartment so wonderful!! Even the Sinkor (Liberian Zone Leader) apartment (which is no longer inhabited) and the Assistant's apartments are crappy compared to this place! I wish my camera had had more memory to take pics of the place, because it's INCREDIBLE! I think I'll have a chance to go there again in the coming weeks...

ANYWAYS! We went there and met Elders Wood (an old friend from Bo), Tawiah, Pabie, and Appleby. They are American, Ghanaian, Nigerian, and Australian, respectively. I gotta be honest, I was super excited to meet Elder Appleby. He's the only Aussie here, and he's an absolute live wire! I love him a lot.

After a brief reception in their palace, er, home, we went hiking! We went clear out to the mountain behind their house and into the jungle that lies there! It was intense, and uber-awesome! It was raining, which it pretty much always does here, but it was still awesome. Elder Appleby showed us a path leading into the thick of the jungle at the base of the mountain. At the base thereof, we forded a stream, and continued into the thick underbrush and started huffing up the side of the mountain.

Eventually, we reached our destination: The Grafton Dam and Waterfall. It was amazing! Just a river/waterfall flowing from the top of the mountain in the middle of the jungle! We took plenty of pictures, and had loads of fun! I've got to admit, it's probably the most fun I've had on mission so far. In return for their invitation to go hiking, I invited them over to play Transformers Monopoly with us and enjoy some chicken fettuccine Alfredo from home next week. ;)

So, for the pictures: The first is the view of part of my area from the balcony of our apartment. Our apartment is awesome in almost every way, with a few exceptions: The shower is small, running water is scarce, there's not a whole lot of space and HOLY COCKROACHES!!! Try as I might, I can't stop them from spawning themselves in every nook and cranny of this place!! I keep it clean, I kill them with spray, but they just COME FROM NOWHERE! I hate them more than anything else. We didn't have this problem in Bo apartment.

Next is a picture of Elder Purcell as we reached the top of the mountain where an investigator lives. I've discovered a new frustration of being bounced (when someone is a "no-show" for an appointment) when it means we climbed a mountain for nothing.

Next is a picture of me bluffing (Krio for "showing off") my new rain boots and umbrella. This place is MUDDY like NOTHING. I'm grateful to have them.

The next two are of some of the waterfalls we enjoyed. Aren't they awesome?? Elder Appleby is the man standing on the rock in the second picture. He was pretending he was being Legolas during the hike. That was entertaining!

The last is a picture of Grafton area and Kossoh town area. It's not so much an "urban jungle" as it is an "urban/jungle" area. Seriously, these towns are on the outskirts of nothingness. However, it's stunningly beautiful.









Okay, a don rayt boku! I love you so much! :)

Love,

Elder Vaughan

No comments:

Post a Comment