Monday, March 19, 2012

Powerful Friends, True Conversion & a Dream

It's funny Mom and Dad that you mention preparing for missions yourself. Sister Krumm (one of the senior couples here in Liberia) reminds me of Mom a lot. She's really exuberant and loving. I can't help but picture Mom there someday. The couples work REAL hard here, and they are so greatly loved! I can't wait for that to be my Mom and Dad! It would suit our family well to quote Elder Holland in our home: "In this family, we serve missions!" It's the way to be! The work is so wholly satisfying and joyful that it makes it very hard to miss home, especially as my time is steadily drawing to a close. Some seven-odd months or so still seems like a long time, but it really isn't. I remember being with Elder Lancaster when he was where I am now. He's been home for nearly a year! It's so insane how fast the time flies.

I think I'll get in the habit of sending you excerpts from President's letter:

Hello President!

This week has been an interesting one. It went so darn fast that I don't even remember anything all that specific about it... It was nuts.

We've spent the majority of the week teaching exclusively on the Book of Mormon, which has been both amazing and incredibly discouraging. We have so many people that will do anything to avoid the book; they just want us to 'Bible' them to death. Elder Willis and I refuse, and we put it on themselves to find out that the book is true. It's very encouraging when people read and find out that it's true, but SO discouraging when they don't do it. I couldn't believe my ears when an investigator asked "Can I be a member of your church and NOT believe in the Book of Mormon? I really like the church, but I can't accept the book." I was nearly shouting when I replied that the church he is interested is founded upon the book he professes to not accept. Regardless of our obstacles, it's our number one priority to help people know about and come to know the book is true.

As pertaining to things within our companionship, we are doing great. Elder Willis and I love each other so much, and work so hard. He keeps me up and running when I'm starting to run down. Just like everything else in the gospel, 'enduring' is the hardest part. It's easy to get physically tired in this area with so much walking in deep sand. At any rate, we work hard, and we love being here.

This week also brings an exchange with Elder Opuene, which I'll report on next week. Until then, we look forward to seeing you again. We miss you lots over here in Liberia!

Love,

Elder Vaughan


Things are really sweet here, you know. Elder Willis and I are powerful friends, so no matter what happens, we're happy. To be honest, things are getting harder now that people are openly fighting the Book of Mormon. When we teach them briefly about the Book for a short time, and then never mind it again, we can baptize a lot more people, because many more people don't know what it is. They think of it more as a Bible study guide, not knowing that it's something different. So, when they find out that it's another book of scripture, and they hadn't accepted it (or their old pastor convinced them that it's a demonic book, something like that), then they fall away. Well, we're preventing that step and making sure that the revelation from the Spirit of the truth of the Book of Mormon is the primary focus of our teaching. As we've done that, many people have been threshed and blown away as chaff, and some have been gathered unto the garners. I guess it's the way it should be, right?

This week is going to be interesting... I have an exchange with Elder Opuene in Gardnersville branch on Wednesday, leadership training in Paynesville on Friday, and our Easter Program rehearsal on Saturday in Sinkor. It's going to be a bit hectic, and I think I'll feel like I haven't seen much of my area, but it'll be alright.

One cool experience happened with a woman named Garmai this week. We have been surprised by her repeated appearances at church after she had beforehand told us that she'd be attending her old church. We met her and asked her why she had so suddenly changed her mind. She told us that she had been really thinking about what our church claims; that is, to be the only true church upon the earth. She was also thinking about the Jehovah's Witnesses, who claim the same thing. She said that as she thought deeply on these things, she prayed to know what the true way was, and she went to sleep. She explained that she had a dream, in the which she felt a hand grip her wrist. She couldn't see the hand, but she felt it, and knew that it was Jesus Christ. She said that she was laying down, and the hand moved her outstretched finger to point in the direction of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. She said that since then, she's never dared to go to any other church, because she knows that none of them are true. We're now working with her on some commandments, and as soon as they're resolved, she'll be baptized. Of course, baptism isn't the victory we're looking for. She's CONVERTED, and that's why we're already celebrating!

Could I be doing anything better for my life right now? Unlikely. I pity those who feel that they don't need or want to serve missions. I pity even more those that are unable to complete the two years. It's the best labor in which one could be anxiously engaged! I really love being here, and I dread the day that I must return.

Regardless, I love you all so much! Thanks for your love and support. :-)

Love,

Elder Vaughan

No comments:

Post a Comment